Because of the presence of microbes in all walks of human life, there is constant interaction between microbes and humans. The vast majority of the bacteria in the body are rendered harmless by the protective effects of the immune system, and a few are beneficial. In fact, the relationship between microbes and humans is delicate and complex.
Microbes are useful for us in many ways in various industries.
Production of Foods
Microbes are a key component in both home and industrial food preparation.
- Lactic acid bacteria are used to make yogurt, cheese, sour cream, buttermilk and other fermented milk products.
- Vinegars are produced by bacterial acetic acid fermentation.
- Yeast is used in the manufacture of beer and wine and for the leavening of breads.
- Bacteria are the agents of most other food fermentations.
- Other fermented foods include sauerkraut, dill pickles, olives, cocoa and black teas.