aka Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
As bizarre as MTT seems, MTT / EFT really does work and it won’t cost the patient a cent, except a few minutes of their time. MTT / EFT works exceptionally well for insomniacs.
What is MTT or EFT
- MTT/EFT is a powerful mind/body “tapping” therapy that clears electrical blockages that are causing both emotional and physical issues – these blockages otherwise prevent energy from flowing through your body’s meridians
- MTT/EFT is used for just about any emotional or physical problem *
- MTT specifically addresses the concept that all negative emotions are caused by a disruption in the body’s subtle electromagnetic energy system – and not DIRECTLY by memories or thoughts.
- MTT restores mind/body balance essential for optimal health and the healing of physical disease – a concept not given much credence by Western healing methods, MTT is based on the premise that unresolved emotional issues are the cause of about 85% of physical health issues, due to the inherent connection between the body’s subtle energy flow, emotions, and health;
- No matter how dedicated one is to a healthy diet and lifestyle, it is to no avail if one is carrying “emotional baggage” – emotional stress can contribute to pain, disease and physical ailments, such that until one deals with the electrical blockages formed as a result of negative thoughts or distressing memories, the body will not achieve an ideal state of health.
Physicians Should Overcome Their Scepticism – ingrained doctrine and non-acceptance of unconventional approaches to healing cause many to find the idea of MTT both amusing and absurd. However, considering that the use of MTT is spreading rapidly because of its very high rate of success, it would be an injustice to your patient to not suggest such a simple ‘harmless’ adjunct therapy, considering the great amount of success practitioners and patients alike are experiencing.
- MTT involves tapping with the fingertips on specific acupuncture points on the head and chest together with thinking about your specific problem and voicing positive affirmations.
- MTT is a form of acupuncture without the needles – based on the 5,000+ year old Chinese practice of treating physical and emotional ailments using traditional acupuncture to clear the body’s energy meridians (electrical circuits). There are 12 main meridians named according to organs or functions in which bio-energy (called Chi by the Chinese) flows vertically in the body. There are 6 female YIN meridians in which energy flows upwards, and 6 male YANG meridians with energy flowing downward. Unhindered energy flow yields harmony and health, but slowed or stopped energy flow interferes with associated organ function resulting in sickness or tiredness.
- Thinking about one’s problem with positive affirmations allows the body to identify and correct the energy disruptions involved.
- Tapping on acupuncture points unblocks those pathways with reduced energy flow.
MTT Is Simple, Quick and Painless
- A round of MTT takes less than a minute
- Frequently, problems disappear permanently in minutes or hours – some problems can reappear later as a different aspect of the original problem, which can then be dealt with at that time;
- The memory of a distressing event does not go away, just the “sting” that went with it
- The patient briefly recalls, not relives, their memories – during MTT, there is no need for a “Tell me your life-story” approach, which can sometimes create more electrical blockages;
- No pills are required
- Neither the patient nor the ‘prescribing’ physician need to believe that MTT will work! – and although it is better to say things with feeling and emphasis, saying it routinely will usually accomplish the task.
- It is better for the patient to speak out loud, but if they prefer to mutter under their breath or even express themselves in silent thought, it will be just as effective.
All Negative Emotion Is the Result Of A Disruption In Energy Flow Caused By A Distressing Memory
The body is a network of electrical circuitry used to communicate between cells. E.g.
- To transmit a pain message when you touch something hot
- Electrical activity in the brain is measured as an EEG, and the heart by an ECG
- Electric currents are used to enable you to feel, taste and smell
- A distressing memory causes an energy blockage in the body’s electrical circuits (also called meridians) – which results in a negative emotion, such as fear, anxiety, depression, anger or grief;
- If a distressing memory doesn’t cause a disruption in the body’s energy system, then any associated negative emotion cannot occur – some people are better able to deal with negative experiences than others.
- MMT overhauls the body’s whole energy system to fix the disruption without needing to identify its exact location – although there are methods available to diagnose the body’s particular “faulty circuit”
MTT Produces Effective Results About 80% Of the Time
- MTT does not work for everyone – but most people have significant results within a couple sessions; there are even some who have experienced spectacular “1-minute miracles”;
- For best results, MTT needs to be applied to specific events or problems in one’s life – i.e. reduce general problems down to a number of more specific smaller problems.
Affirmation phrases should build you up, not beat you up – positive statements to make or do something, or create a specific goal. You control your thoughts, not your emotions, so choose nurturing and supportive thoughts;
Affirmation phrase has the general format that it must:
- Acknowledge the problem – note that unlike many conventional psychoanalytical methods and self-help books, which stress positive thinking but leave the root problem untouched, MTT necessitates uncovering the negative problem (but without dwelling on it), so that its underlying electrical blockages can be eliminated. This will allow the positive to genuinely and freely reveal itself.
- Create self-acceptance despite the existence of the problem – self-love is at the core of most of our problems and we need to stop criticizing ourselves; People who have problems loving themselves always seem to have problems being able to forgive others i.e. holding a grudge prevents self-love. When you forgive others, you open the doorway to your own self-love.
- Be in the present – avoid future tense; E.g. I am going to . . . or I will have . . .
Example Affirmation Phrases
- The self-acceptance phrase “I deeply and completely accept myself” has a good track record of success
- Even though I have this fear of public speaking, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though I have this headache, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though I have this war memory, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though I have this stiffness in my neck, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though I have these nightmares, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though I have this craving for alcohol, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though I have this fear of snakes, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though I have this depression, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though I feel alone when my husband works long hours, I deeply and completely accept myself.
- Even though I have this anger towards my father, I deeply and completely accept myself.
Make it personal, not “Even though my husband works long hours . . .” or “Even though my father was a horrible person . . .” Don’t try to fix someone else’s problem! Try to aim at the specific emotional problem which may be underlying the physical problem.
Subsequent Rounds Of MTT
Sometimes 1 round is all that is necessary to completely resolve a problem or issue, however, if the problem doesn’t decrease, or decreases to a level that is less than acceptable, then:
Repeat the round using a reminder phrase (a shortened version of the affirmation phrase). E.g. For “Even though I have this fear of public speaking, I deeply and completely accept myself”, the reminder phrase could be “Fear of public speaking”.
At the end of a round evaluate any cognitive changes and reassess the level of intensity of your problem (rate on a score from 0-10).
- Seeing the problem from a new angle – often with a sense of surprise and insight. Often reveals new pathways for healing.
- You feel less guilt and self-blame, more hope, or a simple sense of relief in an area where there has never been relief before.
Do additional rounds to remove any newly surfacing aspects of the problem – sometimes a problem isn’t completely eliminated because tapping reveals a new aspect, usually a result or a cause, of the problem. This can be in the form of an image, conversation, interaction or any other form.
Persistence pays for problems for which it is difficult to identify the specifics – You could begin with – “Even though I have this feeling …”, and during MTT, your subconscious mind will usually have its own way in revealing the specifics.
Doing about 10 rounds of MTT / day maximizes success of the therapy – allowing you to reap its benefits on many issues
Fine-Tuning the Therapy
Addressing the possible impediments to perfection attains better results – consider doing these if you do not achieve success with the “Basic MTT Recipe”.
- Various shortcuts suffice as you become familiar with the basic therapy.
- Tap while staring at your own eyes in the mirror – seems to provide a deeper connection with your subconscious.
- Pay attention to what you “hear” – especially if they are negative messages that could be blocking your progress. Acknowledge, don’t dwell on the negative angles, and then do MTT on them with a positive outcome affirmation.
- Forgive yourself – E.g. “Even though I was mean, I forgive you, I will do my best not to do it again” – whilst looking into your own eyes in a mirror this has quite a powerful effect.
Keep Well Hydrated
Keeping hydrated enables your body to conduct electricity efficiently.
An example of using more specific affirmation phrases for Insomnia
First identify the underlying issues in your life that may be causing your insomnia – there is always a physical and/or emotional CAUSE for a sleep disturbance. What have you been thinking about while lying awake? Does it relate to a problem you are having? Do you need an expedited answer to a specific problem? When did the sleep difficulties begin? – maybe there was some traumatic event at that time?
Suggested affirmation phrases for different problem concerns – one of which may sound applicable to your situation:
- Responsibility – The purpose here is to address the concern with a clear head after being well rested.
- Even though I feel a great responsibility for (describe any responsibilities that weigh on your mind when you are lying awake at night) … I acknowledge that any thoughts on this are better left until after I sleep.
- Anxiety – from obsessively anxious thoughts over the outcome of something, or fear of what will happen if you don’t have an immediate solution for a situation; the goal is to find peace and confidence that a satisfactory solution will emerge A good tip is to keep a paper and pen next to your bed to jot down any ideas that do present themselves in the night – just enough to help with memory recall in the morning;
- Even though I’m anxious about (what worries you), I choose to be calm and confident.
- Anger – sleep and anger are often incompatible and the goal is to achieve peace; be honest with yourself and address all resentment against the situation or people involved;
- Even though I’m angry with/at (person/situation), I choose to be calm and confident”. Do as many rounds as needed to reduce distress, after which you will naturally fall asleep.
Problem solving habit – the goal is to release yourself from “Thinking duty”; instead of physical tapping you can tap mentally or just touch tapping points to avoid physical disturbance at a time when being still is more conducive to sleep:
- Even though I can’t get to sleep, I choose to be pleasantly drowsy Or
- Even though my thoughts seem so important right now, I know that they’ll be there tomorrow when I wake up
Create A Positive YOU by Doing MTT Morning and Night Using Positive Affirmation Statements
- Before going to bed – allows your subconscious to work all night on the “better you”; even more powerful when affirmation statements are integrated with prayer;
- First thing in the morning – sets you up for the day;
- Say the positive affirmations even if they don’t feel true at first – eventually they will become true; E.g. “I am a happy person and I deeply and completely accept myself”
For More Information, go to website: Gary Craig’s free EFT (original name for MTT) tutorial.
As Well As For more specific information on the following:
- Using MTT on Fears and Phobias
- Using MTT on Traumatic Memories
- Using MTT for Addictions
- Using MTT for Physical Healing
- Using MTT to Enhance Your Self Image
Also visit Gary Craig’s site. Gary is now retired, but is the person responsible for making this therapy better known, and for more Tips & Tricks – Using Advanced Affirmation Statements, visit Dr. Mercola’s page
Chart by Louise Hay