Platelets are a constituent of the blood and promote clotting of blood, which is essential for hemostatis and prevents undue blood loss following trauma or injury. Ideal platelet count ranges from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microlitre of blood. If the platelet count falls below 150,000 it is referred to as Thrombocytopenia (i.e. low platelet count).
The condition when your Platelet count falls below 150,000 is called Thrombocytopenia (i.e. low platelet count). If you are suffering from thrombocytopenia and want to increase platelet count naturally, here are some suggestions that you should follow:
- Avoid all refined food stuffs including sugars, saturated fats, processed foods and grains, aerated drinks. These foods are known causes of platelet count fall.
- Consume a lot of healthy food. This includes fresh and organic foods. This will help in stimulating the body’s internal mechanism and increase your platelet count.
- Ensure that you thoroughly wash you wash raw food before consuming them as helminthes, parasites and viruses are known to cause a fall in the platelet count.
- Use cod liver oil or flax seed oils. They strengthen the immune system, reduce inflammation, improve circulation and increase your ratio of HDL (High Density Lipoproteins) to LDL (Low Density Lipoproteins).
- Tomatoes and berries are loaded with vitamins and minerals and have strong anti-oxidant qualities which will help you increase platelet count.
- Consume a lot of green and leafy vegetables. It increases the hemoglobin level of blood and helps tackle the underlying cause of low levels of platelet count.
- Vitamin and mineral supplements taken regularly, will also enhance your immunity and ability to fit diseases that may aggravate fall in platelet count. Do take vitamin and mineral supplements with some fruit or freshly squeezed juice, to provide the enzymes for breakdown and uptake.